SEO audit – how? An SEO audit is necessary for any resource, because during its existence, search engines will change their algorithms more than once, and many errors can occur on the page itself. And if you haven’t found the right auditing contractor yet, you can do a little auditing yourself. This will help identify the most obvious errors on the page. SEO audit how to do it yourself? Read!
SEO audit how to deal with it yourself?
Find and get rid of redundant subpages. Type in the Google search site: URL of your page. This way you can find out how many pages on your site have been indexed by Google. If the number is higher than you would like, remember that you are not alone. In fact, most sites have 50% more pages indexed than they should.
Make sure Google indexes only one version of your site. Did you know that Google can index different versions of your website? For users, they are all almost the same. But not for Google. Until redirects are properly configured, Google will treat them as completely different resources.
Fortunately, they are all fairly easy to check and fix. To do this, you must enter each version in the address bar of your browser. All of them will eventually have to fit together. Identify indexing issues. Now it’s time to find out which pages on your site are not being indexed. To do this, open Search Console and check the report. Index coverage, which contains information about pages that Google is unable to index for some reason.
You can do an SEO audit yourself without any deep technical knowledge
All you have to do is use the webmaster tool – Google Search Console. You can find the main errors and recommendations of search engines for the site.
- The first thing to check is the absence of sanctions and other problems on the site. In Search Console, these are manual measures under Search Traffic and Security Issues.
- Indexing accuracy – the number of indexed pages and the dynamics of changes, which pages were excluded and for what reason. All of these points can be seen in the “Crawling Status” section of the “Google Index” section in Search Console. It is also necessary to check the presence and validity of the Sitemap.xml and robots.txt indexing service files – the sitemap xml must contain all relevant pages of the site. Robots.txt must prohibit indexing of duplicates and irrelevant items while not blocking important pages and site elements from the index. Service files can be checked in the appropriate sections of the tools – “Sitemap files” and “Robots.txt file analysis”.
- Correctness of filling in the Title and Description – uniqueness and informative character of the filling. Title and meta tag data in Search Console are available in the “HTML Optimization” section.
- Links – you need to check the operation of internal links , as well as the link structure. Also check the incoming links – no rapid increase in the mass of links, main linking pages. All of this data is available in separate sections for internal and external links in Search Console.
- Optimization for mobile devices – the main pages of the site can be checked using the appropriate tools on Google. The most common mistake is to encapsulate CSS in a standard robots.txt file, which results in indexing errors. For example, to check in Search Console, you need to enter any page in the “Search” – “Display as Googlebot” section, check content indexing blocks, compare user and Googlebot versions of the page.
- The presence and correctness of micro-tags – it is especially important to have tags on the product cards of online stores, which makes the text more attractive to users. You can check this under “Search View” – “Structured Data” in Search Console.
In addition, many other useful information can be found in these tools for analysis, and additional service tips and official help of search engines will help you decide on the necessary improvements to the site. Of course, the above steps are not all you can do as part of a self-contained SEO audit. Don’t forget to check if your site is mobile friendly, it’s a must for all resources. Content is also important: representatives of search engines often remind that it should be of high quality and useful to users, fully responding to their queries. And if you are still afraid that something is missing, use the help of our company, which performs professional SEO audits. We will gladly take care of website positioning and improving the position of your website in the Google search engine.